{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

14 July 2016

Blog Gem - The Messy Brunette

Hola! Woohoo, it's Blog Gem time and this month I found out all about the super talented Maura, who runs The Messy Brunette, a creative blog full of gorgeous crochet, embroidery, upcycling and more. It's a delightful treasure trove! So, you can see why I was super excited to find out all about the amazing lady who creates such a wonderful creative corner of the web. Lets dive on it and find out more!

The Messy Brunette


Hello there, can you tell us all a little bit about yourself?
Well I am 41, Irish, wife to one and mum to two small boys, living in the sticks in an old farm house that has been in my husband’s family for 170 years. I decided to start my blog as I was bored and wanted something for me to do, other than being a stay at home mum. I love being creative and love trying out new crafty things, so I am always on the go with jobs. I have always loved reading blogs and finding out how others do things and getting tips. I suppose it was another way for me to express myself creatively.

The Messy Brunette

Where do you blog? 
I blog in my sitting room, this room originally was 2 rooms. Back then they had a parlour room (the good room for the visitors that no one was allowed into) and a sitting room, so I decided to knock down a wall and make it into one big family room. There is enough room in the corner for my desk and I can still keep an eye on the kiddies and type away for myself. The only thing I don’t like is the lack of light that comes into this section of the house, but hey I’m not allowed to knock it!

The Messy Brunette


If you had to take only one craft tool to a desert island, what would you choose and why?
Oh only one !!!!!! That’s so hard, hmmm maybe a drill so I could try and build a hut, ha ha!

The Messy Brunette


How do you work and get inspired? 
I try and treat it as that …. work I mean, so I try and plan around the kids and school. Mostly mornings when it's quiet and that first coffee has done the trick. Inspiration comes from everywhere, other bloggers, Instagram, Pinterest, magazines. I am very visual so I like to see things …

The Messy Brunette

What top tips would you give to anyone starting a blog?
Oh tips …….. well I am not at this long so I am still only learning myself. But I will say that I did a creative blog online course with Pip from MeetMeatMikes and it was a great way of seeing how blogs work, the technical side of things and how to actually start. It was a nice introduction to the world of blogging and I learned so much from it. Plus, I met other bloggers starting out, some of whom I still connect with. 

Other tips, try Facebook groups for bloggers and Twitter, these were big steps for me to make as I didn’t really use them before I started blogging. Twitter is good too as I met loads of other bloggers and you can find some twitter chats, I especially like the CraftBlogClub chat on Tuesday nights. I think just reaching out and chatting to people is a good way to start!

The Messy Brunette


Is there a story behind the name, The Messy Brunette?
Well, I am messy, in a creative way of course, and I am a brunette! It’s also the initials of my name
too, which was unintentional.

The Messy Brunette

If you could go to a Blog Award dinner with any 5 people (dead or alive) and/or fictional characters, who would you choose?
That’s a tough one. I’ll have to say, the first person I would like to choose, would be Joanne from KyleLane. She runs an upcycling furniture painting shop not too far from me and I love her style, plus I’d say she would be great craic on a night out! Second would be Kasia from the TheCraftyMummyBlog. I love her quirkiness and I could get loads of tips off her too. Third, I’m thinking maybe Kirsty Allsop, she must be interesting all that work she does, but would I get a word in?! Jools Holland would be interesting, he could get the band going while I hit the bar and maybe Brian Johnston from AC/DC, I love a bit of rock …. be a great night I’d say! They could be the entertainment of course ….!

The Messy Brunette

And finally...if you had to choose one song to represent The Messy Brunette, what would it be and why? 
Maybe a bit of Sinatra ‘I did it my way’ (you can clearly see my music taste varies wildly). I like it and love Sinatra and yeah I am a stubborn and like things done my way!

Thank you so much, Maura! It's been wonderful hearing all about your creative world and ooh what a great song choice, love it!

I hope you've all enjoyed this month's Blog Gem. Catch up on all my interviews here and don't forget to sign up to my newsletter too! 

All of the images and interview answers are the copyright of Maura at The Messy BrunettePlease do not use without seeking permission first. Thank you.

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...